History of the Guelph Police Service
Thomas Brown is recorded as having been appointed constable pro tem in 1827 making him Guelph's first constable serving this community. The District of Wellington was created in 1837 and Guelph became an administrative Centre of this district in 1840.
The appointed officers for this district were a Sheriff, Treasurer, Surgeon at gaol, Inspector of weights, Gaoler and Chief Constable.
In 1856 Guelph' s first Police Station was constructed as part of Guelph's town hall and market house. The building included a police office and lock-up. In 1900 the Police department moved to its own building in the "Annex" building located behind the court house on Carden Street. By this time, Guelph's population was closing in on 12,000 people.
In 1947, Guelph was the first community in Ontario to hold vehicle inspections.
In 1960, the Guelph Police Station on Wyndham Street was built. Guelph's population was up to 38,000 people.
Since then, the city has grown to approximately 130,000 people and our service now has 196 officers and 91 full time civilian members.
The Guelph Police Service is the 15th largest municipal police service in Ontario with a net operating budget of $38 million. The Service is built on the values of Pride, Service and Trust.
Check out our history of GPS cruisers page
our fallen heroes page
our hisory of Guelph Police Chiefs page
our history of Guelph Police flashes/badges page
or just have a look at some old police pictures from the past