Protect your business from crime and theft with these helpful tips
- Light up all entrances, including alleys, with vandal-proof fixtures.
- Leave some lights on inside your premises.
- If the door is glass, it should be lit up inside and outside.
- Avoid high displays near windows that could keep a passer-by from seeing in.
- Keep all weeds, shrubbery and debris away from windows and doors. Don't provide concealment for a burglar.
Doors and Windows
- Secure doors, windows and other access points.
- Doors should be mounted so hinge-bolts are not facing outwards.
- Check all doors and windows when you leave.
- Lock up ladders and all tools that could invite a break-in or make a burglar's job easier.
- Remove items around building that could be used as a climbing platform for a burglar.
- Install an alarm system.
- Do not rely on your alarm system as your only means of security. They are most effective when used in conjunction with other basic security measures.
- Post a notice that shows you have an alarm system.
- Surveillance cameras are a good deterrent and provide valuable evidence of break ins and robberies.
- Position cameras in order to obtain best possible picture of people entering and exiting.
- Ensure surveillance recording devices are functional with the correct times and dates.
- Park in well-traveled, highly visible areas.
- If it is dark, use well-lit lots and walkways.
- Walk with your car key out and ready.
- Avoid walking alone to and from building especially at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
If a Crime Has Occurred
- DO NOT enter - the criminal may still be inside.
- DO NOT touch anything or clean up until the police have inspected for evidence.
- Note the licence number of any suspicious vehicle(s).
- Note the description of any suspicious person(s).
- Keep cash to a minimum with frequent, irregular bank deposits.
- Anchor your safe to the floor in a well-lit, highly visible location.
- Leave empty cash drawers open after hours to prevent damage.
- Keep an accurate inventory of all valuables.
- Enter serial numbers and model numbers in records.
- Be a good neighbour and report any suspicious activity to the police.