The Guelph Police Service reports on incidents that occur in Guelph through a daily news release. These news releases are updated Monday to Friday. If you want to receive news releases by email you can subscribe to receive them on the news page. The news releases are also sent out via Facebook and Twitter.
Road Closures and Construction Reports within the City can be found at:
City of Guelph Roads & Traffic
For road conditions outside of the city, check:
Ministry of Transportation Ontario
Check out events that Guelph Police are involved in throughout the city. Our events calendar highlights these events.
Check out our recent events in the Photo and Video Gallery!
Discover our various social Media platforms!
News releases - Charged people named or not named?
Many times we receive the question, why did this person get named and another did not?
The Police Service Act as well as internal policies govern how we do our job. When it comes to naming or not naming a charged person the decision is based on these criteria:
The authority to release personal information falls under the Police Services Act - Regualtion 265/98. Section 3(1) of this regulation stipulates that personal information may be disclosed to any person if the individual has been charged with, convicted or found guilty of an offence under the Criminal Code the CDSA or any other federal or provincial act.
Under these circumstances, the individuals name; date of birth; address; charge(s); duration of investigation leading up to charges and court date can be released.
We do not release names if the person is a youth (under the age of 18), if the person is still in custody (not formally released) or if the naming of this person could lead to the identity of a victim or hurt the integrity of an investigation.
Social media guidelines
Any posting on Guelph Police social media by the public constitutes acceptance of these terms....
- If you post information related to a crime, you can become a witness in court.
- Comments posted by others on GPS social media are not to be taken as the opinion of the Guelph Police Service.
- The GPS does not allow posting of photos or videos by anyone other than those members assigned by GPS.
- If you have any photos or videos you would like to share, please contact the Public Information Office.
- All postings are subject to all applicable Federal and Provincial legislation.
- The Guelph Police Service asks posters to keep comments related to the content on the pages. GPS has the right to remove, ban and or block anyone who posts inappropriate or offensive material as determined by GPS. This includes comments that:
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, or violates the legal rights of others
- Include racism, hatred, slander, threats, obscenity, violence, bad language
- Spam or advertisements
- Have personal information about another person or that violates a person's privacy
- Include copyrighted material that belongs to another person
- Contain links to inappropriate or offensive websites