Toy gun draws police response

A Guelph male was detained after a toy gun drew police to the downtown train station Monday morning.

Just before 11 a.m., officers responded to the area of the train station on Carden Street after a witness reported he saw a male with a gun tucked under his shirt. The male was located and detained at gunpoint.

The male admitted he had a toy gun in his possession but threw it away prior to his interaction with police. The plastic toy was recovered by police.

Investigation revealed the male had not used the item in a threatening manner nor possessed it for a dangerous purpose. A 56-year-old Guelph male was released without charges.


Male arrested following break-in

A Guelph male faces several charges following a break and enter Sunday to a downtown building under renovation.

Approximately 7:30 p.m. Sunday, access was gained to a building in the area of Norfolk Street and Paisley Street by prying off a sheet of plywood. Approximately $2,600 worth of tools and construction materials were removed. The theft was captured on surveillance video.

On Monday, just before 1 p.m., a male was located downtown and arrested. Approximately $500 worth of stolen tools and materials were recovered following his arrest, with most of the remaining stolen property subsequently located hidden behind downtown businesses.

A 40-year-old Guelph male is charged with break and enter, possessing stolen property under $5,000, breach of probation and failing to attend court. He will appear in a Guelph court August 26, 2022.


Arrest in 2019 fraud

A Guelph male has been arrested more than three years after a local bank was defrauded of approximately $18,000.

In July, 2019, staff of a bank in the downtown core contacted police to report a customer had deposited a company cheque for just under $18,000. The cheque was returned to the bank and the funds were not recovered.

On Monday, a Guelph male was arrested by another police service on an outstanding warrant. A 40-year-old Guelph male is charged with fraud over $5,000.


Female’s licence suspended

A Guelph female lost her licence for three days late Monday after narrowly avoiding an impaired driving charge.

Approximately 11:35 p.m., staff of a south-end establishment reported a possibly-intoxicated customer leaving in her vehicle. The female driver was located at her residence and provided a roadside breath test which resulted in a fail, however further testing at the police station resulted in a ‘warning’ reading. This means the driver’s blood-alcohol level is between 50 milligrams of alcohol and 100 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood.

A 39-year-old Guelph female had her licence suspended for three days and was released without criminal charges.


Total calls for service in the last 24 hours - 230