DNA helps solve two sexual assaults from 1999

DNA evidence has helped Guelph Police Service investigators finally solve two sexual assaults which have remained open for more than two decades.

On July 24, 1999, a 74-year-old female was sexually assaulted at her residence located in the city of Guelph. Less than four months later, on November 14, 1999, the same offender entered another Guelph residence and confronted a 45-year-old female in her bedroom. The female was able to fight off the offender who was brandishing a knife and he fled the scene. The two cases were linked by DNA that had been collected by the Guelph Police at the crime scenes and subsequently analyzed by the Center of Forensic Sciences.

In 1999, as a result of these very serious offences, a Police Task Force consisting of 11 officers was formed and an extensive investigation ensued. The offender was not identified and the case, although never closed, became cold.

The ‘cold case’ was revisited in 2010 and again all investigative avenues were exhausted and the offender remained unidentified and at large.

The case has always remained open and in 2020 Guelph Police once again revisited the investigation. It was through the advancement of DNA that has occurred between 2010 and the present that police were able to identify the male responsible for these sexual assaults.

The offender was a Guelph male that was in his 20s at the time of the sexual assaults. The male is now deceased. Police will not be releasing the name of the offender.

The Guelph Police Service is genuinely relieved that the person responsible for these very serious offences has been identified and, after 22 years, these cases and their victims have closure. 

Truck window smashed while trucker sleeping inside

An American trucker got quite a wake-up call in Guelph early Thursday when someone broke into his truck while he was sleeping inside.

Just before 2 a.m. the Michigan resident called the Guelph Police Service. He advised he was asleep in the truck when someone threw a rock through the side window. He woke to find a male trying to climb into the cab and yelled, scaring him off.

The male grabbed a clipboard and some cash off the seat but the property was recovered. Police checked the area but were unable to locate the male, who was described as wearing a yellow hoodie with an emblem on it.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call Constable Adam Shutsa at 519-824-1212, ext. 7335, email him at ashutsa@guelphpolice.ca, leave an anonymous message for Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous tip online.

Garage entered, bike and tools stolen

The Guelph Police Service is investigating after tools and an expensive bicycle were stolen from a residential garage.

On Wednesday morning police were called to an address on Alma Street North where the homeowner was reporting a break-in which occurred overnight.

A gold Kona Caldera mountain bike valued at $2,000 was stolen along with approximately $1,800 in tools including laser levels, a drill, a saw and a grinder. Entry was gained by cutting a screen and lifting a window out of the track.

The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call Constable Scott Srigley at 519-824-1212, ext. 7298, email him at ssrigley@guelphpolice.ca, leave an anonymous message for Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous tip online.

Female charged with stunt driving, vehicle seized

A 48-year-old Guelph female had her motor vehicle and driver’s licence both seized for a week after she was caught Wednesday night driving more than double the speed limit.

Just before 10:30 p.m., a member of the Guelph Police Service Traffic Unit was on patrol in the area of Silvercreek Parkway North and Willow Road when he observed a speeding SUV. The vehicle was captured on radar travelling 114 km/h in the posted 50 km/h zone and was stopped.

The female driver was charged with speeding and stunt driving.

Total calls for service in the last 24 hours - 207